Inconsistency is haunting Town - The Stratford Observer

Inconsistency is haunting Town

Stratford Editorial 29th Mar, 2018   0

CARL ADAMS admits he is fed up wondering which Jekyll and Hyde Stratford Town will turn up.

The Town manager was again left baffled by the lack of inconsistency after they followed up a hugely impressive 4-1 win at Farnborough on Saturday with a third home Southern League Premier defeat in a row – losing 2-1 to Hitchin Town on Tuesday.

“We were outstanding on Saturday at Farnborough,” said Adams. “We scored some great goals and played some great football. The first 45 minutes was as good as we have played all season.

“But three days later we lost to Hitchin and it looked like 11 completely different players.

“This team is the hardest I’ve had to manage since I’ve been a manager because I just don’t know what team will turn up. It’s frustrating but I’ve done enough moaning. Certain players don’t seem to be learning and that’s a worry.”

Town, though, will need to be at their best over Easter when they entertain title-chasing King’s Lynn Town at the MoodChimp Stadium on Saturday before visiting ninth-placed Banbury United on Monday.

Stratford will await fitness updates on defender Andy Gallinagh and midfielder Justin Marsden, but Jazz Luckie is now back fit after three months on the sidelines. His appearance at Farnborough as a substitute was his first since December 10.

“We’ve got some tough games coming up against strong teams but it wouldn’t surprise me if we go out and win in style… or we could go and get smashed,” said Adams. “We’re so unpredictable. One game we can look like world-beaters, but then we can look like a team of strangers.”

On Saturday, Stratford recovered from falling behind to demolish hosts Farnborough with four first-half goals.

Andy Sealey-Harris gave Boro the lead after five minutes but it was 4-1 at half-time to Adams’ men.

Ben Stephens volleyed home an equaliser on 19 minutes after Edwin Ahenkorah’s shot was deflected into his path and Will Grocott fired Town ahead from Stephens’ flick before an Ahenkorah effort was deflected into the net off Stephens to make it 3-1 on the half-hour.

Stephens wrapped up the win with his 22nd goal of the season after collecting Marsden’s pass.

On Tuesday two blunders from keeper Louis Connor handed Hitchin the goals at the MoodChimp Stadium.

Brett Donnelly grabbed the first on eight minutes after Connor could only push out a 25-yarder from Charlie Smith but Liam Francis levelled with a header from a Grocott corner.

However, on 25 minutes, Connor called for Francis to leave a long ball but failed to gather and left Hugo Logan with a simple tap-in.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.