Warning after fire extinguisher explodes in waste compactor - The Stratford Observer

Warning after fire extinguisher explodes in waste compactor

Stratford Editorial 5th Jan, 2017   0

FIRE extinguisher cannot be disposed of in the general waste section at household waste recycling centres in Warwickshire.

The warning comes after staff at Wellesbourne recycling centre had to be treated for minor injuries after a pressurised fire extinguisher which had been dumped found its way into one of the site’s waste compactors and exploded.

Fire extinguishers must be treated as hazardous waste and not placed in household rubbish bins. Pressurised (undischarged) units can go to recycling centres at Princes Drive Leamington, Hunters Lane Rugby or Lower House Farm Dordon. There is a charge of £6 (minimum and subject to size – larger ones cost more).

Completely empty units (which have been totally discharged, prior to arrival, and left with valves open) – can be accepted at the above locations subject to approval from staff first.




Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.