Stratford man escapes jail after attacking partner - The Stratford Observer

Stratford man escapes jail after attacking partner

Stratford Editorial 21st Jul, 2015 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

AN ANGRY Stratford man flicked hot food at his partner before punching her to the floor and then kicking her to the back, knowing she suffered from a problem to her spine.

But Paul Smith has escaped being jailed for the nasty attack after a Warwick Crown Court judge heard that his victim has forgiven him, although their relationship is now over.

The 29 year-old of Masefield Road, was sentenced to six months in jail suspended for 18 months and ordered to do 50 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to the assault.

Sarah Allen, prosecuting, said that in February Smith went to a football match using his partner Katie Whatcott’s car, and when he got home at around 9pm she believed he was drunk.

They had an argument because she was concerned he had driven home

As he was putting some food into the microwave, Miss Whatcott said she was going to call his mother to ask her to come round, because in the past she had found that would calm him down.

But Smith reacted by opening the microwave and flicking the hot foot at her.

And as she turned away from him Smith threw the meal at her and she felt the hot liquid hit the side of her face.

She then felt a punch to the head, which knocked her to the floor where he began to kick her.

Miss Whatcott tried to get to her feet, but he punched her again and continued to kick her ‘like a football’ as she screamed for help.

She thought he was going to kill her when he then put his hands round her throat and squeezed so tight she blacked out.

Miss Allen said the attack lasted for about five minutes, during which Smith had deliberately aimed kicked at her back, knowing that would cause her particular pain because she suffers from protruding vertebrae.

When he finally stopped, Smith ran out of the house and made off before his mother and Miss Whatcott’s parents arrived, but later contacted her to say he was going to hand himself in.

As a result of the assault Miss Whatcott, who said it was the first time he had been violent toward her, although she had suffered verbal abuse form him in the past, had a cut above her eye, a sore jaw and bruising all over her body.

Martin Groves, defending, said Smith, who had been remanded in custody but whose employers were willing to hold open his job as a stonemason, was remorseful for his actions. And he pointed out that, although their relationship is at an end, Ms Whatcott had e-mailed his office to say she had forgiven Smith.

As part of the suspended sentence, Recorder Sam Mainds also ordered Smith to take part in a ‘rehabilitation activity.’

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Stratford Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.