Stratford district joins country in voting for Britain to leave the European Union - The Stratford Observer

Stratford district joins country in voting for Britain to leave the European Union

Stratford Editorial 24th Jun, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

STRATFORD district has joined the rest of the country in voting for Britain to leave the European Union.

Residents went to the polls on Thursday (June 23) with more than 100 stations open throughout the district.

The Stratford result was declared at 3.20am with 51.6 per cent (40,817 votes) in favour of leaving and 48.4 per cent (38,341) voting to remain in the EU.

There was a total of 79,217 votes counted – making the turnout 80.8 per cent across the district.

The Stratford vote mirrored the national picture, which saw 52 per cent opt to leave the EU while 48 per cent wanted to remain.

It means Britain will now no longer be a member of the European Union.

Stratford MP Nadhim Zahawi had pledged his support to the leave campaign while his Warwick and Leamington and Kenilworth and Southam counterparts, Chris White and Jeremy Wright voted to stay in the EU.

Speaking afterwards, Mr Zahawi told the Observer: “I am delighted the voters of Stratford and the United Kingdom as a whole have decided our future will be better outside of the European Union.

“This decision has now been made, and we should respect the sincerely held views of everyone who voted, for whichever side.

“Now we must get on with the task of creating a fair immigration system, build a dynamic economy that delivers for every family in the country and secure our new relationship with the European Union.”

Prominent town businessman and pro-Brexit campaigner, Denys Shortt added: “This is a great day for democracy and a new dawn for the United Kingdom.

“The future is bright as we will now be able to make our own decisions and not be ruled by an unelected group of people in Brussels.”

Rugby borough, North Warwickshire, and Nuneaton and Bedworth have all voted in favour of Britain leaving the European Union.

Warwick was the only district in the county to vote remain.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Advertise with the Stratford Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.