A MIDNIGHT dash to save a pair of nine-week-old bulldog puppies with a highly contagious virus has highlighted the need for vaccinations.
Owner Janine Williams first noticed puppies Nelson and Albert were acting more subdued than normal before discovering both were suffering from diarrhoea.
After calling Avonvale Veterinary Centre in Stratford, she made a late night dash from Upper Brailes to Avonvale’s 24-hour emergency small animal hospital in Warwick for immediate treatment, where she was told the pair had parvovirus.
Janine said: “They were in a terrible state but I’m so grateful to Katie Wain and the team at Avonvale who acted so quickly to save their lives. It’s wonderful to see them now, back to their inquisitive and playful selves.
“It was all about the speed at which they got the help they needed. I have lost a puppy to parvovirus in the past and luckily was more aware of the signs and acted immediately.
“People need to realise if they see any deterioration in a puppy, such as lethargy, not drinking or diarrhoea, there is not a moment to lose as that is the difference between life and death – Katie and the team at Avonvale did an amazing job.”
Katie added: “Parvovirus is a really nasty disease, which lives in infected soil and faeces and can be brought into the home through footwear and clothing.
“With symptoms including bloody vomiting and diarrhoea, sadly many puppies die from this despite the best treatment but speed is of the essence to give them the best chance of survival.
“As with human vaccinations it’s easy to forget the devastating nature of the diseases immunisations can protect against, but we recommend that all puppies are vaccinated at the earliest opportunity and protection is maintained with annual booster injections.”