Eyewitnesses tell of moments leading up to death of Tristram Wallace - The Stratford Observer

Eyewitnesses tell of moments leading up to death of Tristram Wallace

Stratford Editorial 7th Apr, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

EYEWITNESSES have spoken of what they saw in the moments leading up to Stratford man Tristram Wallace’s death.

Defendants Toney Jelf, 39, and Peter Mallon, 42, both of no fixed abode, and Donna Windsor, 37, of Betjeman Road, all deny murder but have pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of 36-year-old Mr Wallace.

And 37-year-old Neil Potter, of Clopton Road, has denied both murder and manslaughter – claiming he acted in self-defence.

During the second day of the trial at Birmingham Crown Court on Thursday (April 7), a number of people at the scene gave varying pieces of evidence to the jury.

Taxi driver Nicholas Field was driving through the town onto the Birmingham Road when he heard raised voices and saw an altercation taking place.

He recalled seeing Tristram Wallace being approached by another man but he thought Mr Wallace “did not want to speak to him” and was pushing him away.

Mr Field then told the court he saw Mr Wallace throw what he described as a ‘lazy’ punch at the man – believed to be Mr Potter.

He went on to say how he heard people shouting out from nearby cars while car horns were being sounded.

Another witness, John Meadows, gave evidence saying he heard two men shouting and using aggressive language towards one another.

He told the jury how he later saw Mr Wallace on the floor between some railings at on Arden Street “effectively motionless” during which time some 15/20 blows were rained on him.

A third eyewitness, Rognvald Linklater, said how he called 999 after seeing an initial disagreement between two men and a woman.

He then sounded his horn as he saw the fight escalate in the hope of attracting attention from other passers-by.

Mr Linklater also recalled seeing a drinks can, which he said could have been a beer can, being thrust forwards and backwards towards Mr Wallace repeatedly as he lay on the ground.

Cornel Glover described how he saw an altercation at the junction of Arden Street and Birmingham Road so he pulled his silver Mercedes over and got out with his son.

He then attempted along with another man, Wayne Lavery, to break up the fight, in which he claimed kicks, punches and stamps were levelled at Mr Wallace.

The trial continues.


Advertise with the Stratford Observer to reach your audience

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.