FOOTBALL - Stratford's second-half comeback in vain after last gasp Biggleswade equaliser in six-goal thriller - The Stratford Observer

FOOTBALL - Stratford's second-half comeback in vain after last gasp Biggleswade equaliser in six-goal thriller

Stratford Editorial 9th Feb, 2022   0

STRATFORD TOWN produced an inspired second-half comeback to come from two goals down only to concede in the final minute to draw 3-3 with Biggleswade Town.

The Bards trailed two-nil at half-time but goals from William Grocott, Owen James and Jack Storer looked to have completed an extraordinary turnaround.

However, the visitors levelled on 90 minutes when Joe Neal completed his hat-trick with Stratford defender Dan Vann sent off for two yellow cards late on.

The result leaves the Bards in 13th place in the Southern League Premier Central table, seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Biggleswade took the lead on 13 minutes when Neal scored from outside of the penalty area after being given room to pick his spot.

And the Waders were soon two-nil up on 19 minutes when Neal scored from the penalty spot after Jordan Williams fouled Enoch Andoh in the box.

Stratford searched for a route back into the game as Lewis Wilson shot straight at the goalkeeper whilst Williams and Michael O’Regan went close with headers.

And the Bards should have reduced the deficit after the break when O’Regan missed a header from close range before Grocott rounded the keeper only to be denied from a tight angle.

However, Stratford eventually pulled a goal back when Grocott scored from the spot on 56 minutes after substitute James was brought down in the box.

And it was all square on 73 minutes when James squeezed a shot under the body of the Biggleswade goalkeeper Josh Hill as he closed the winger down.

Tim Flowers side were dealt a blow with 10 minutes left to play when Vann was given his marching orders for two booking.

Despite being a man down, the Bards completed the turnaround on 87 minutes when Storer scored a cracking goal after good work from William Dawes.

However, as the game headed into the final minute, Neal scored his hat-trick goal to deny Stratford all three points.

The Bards are next in action away at Nuneaton Borough on Saturday, February 12 with kick-off at 3pm at Liberty Way.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.