Binton A remain top after draw - The Stratford Observer

Binton A remain top after draw

Stratford Editorial 8th Mar, 2017   0

TWO matches ended all square in week nine of the Stratford & District Airgun League’s Webley Shield handicap competition.

Binton A had only fours and bulls on the scorecard but still had to work hard to recoup the handicap points given to Avon.

With Chris Reed and Andy Smith just missing out on possibles and Colin Hayes shooting a personal best of 33, Binton A took one point from a 229-229 draw to keep them top of the table with 13 points from nine matches.

Avon’s Alison McMillan continues to have a good season and shot 34 for the sixth time this campaign. Avon lie third in the table with 11 points.

Brothers Adam and Jamie Clarke led Wilmcote’s scorecard with possibles in their 236-230 victory over Home Guard.

John Maycock and Lester Langford both missed a bull as they totalled 34 for Wilmcote.

Home Guard saw their handicapped points whittled away by the accuracy of Wilmcote’s shooters and Gareth Morris’ 34 and Andy Morris’ 33 was not enough to win the match.

Wilmcote are now second in the table with 13 points.

The match between Avenue and Binton B started evenly as shooters on both sides kept pace with their scoring.

However, Binton B’s Steve Hodges added to the handicap lead when he shot a solid 32 points and a personal best of 30 from Ken Masters put the match out of Avenue’s reach despite a sterling effort from Steve Parrack who shot his fifth possible this season as Avenue lost 214-212.

MEB did well to draw their match against Clifford 211-211, with only one of their shooters – Paul Onions – staying out of the threes and missing just one bull for 34 points.

Clifford also had some loose threes but overall were more accurate including a 34 from Trevor Morris.

THE RODERICK Baker Cup contest was held at Binton Social Club but unfortunately there was a poor turnout of just four players.

This format pits one shooter from each team, as well as the previous year’s cup winner, against each other in a seven-shot knockout.

Due to the disappointing turnout, the competition started at the semi-final stages in which Andy Smith (Binton A) took on Lester Langford (Wilmcote) and reigning champion Jamie Clarke faced Derek Powers (MEB).

Smith (34.4) progressed to his fourth Roderick Baker final after knocking out Langford (32.3), whilst Powers (27) fell short of Clarke’s score (32.1), which led to a repeat of last year’s final.

This time Smith, shooting first, managed to secure victory with 34.5 points to win the cup for the first time.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.