Bin lorry fire in Kineton sparks disposable barbecue warning - The Stratford Observer

Bin lorry fire in Kineton sparks disposable barbecue warning

Stratford Editorial 13th Jun, 2023   0

A BIN lorry fire in Kineton has sparked a disposable barbecue warning.

A recycling crew were carrying out their rounds in King Johns Road when the lorry caught fire on Wednesday (June 7) – prompting renewed concerns about the dangers of disposable barbecues.

It appears that a disposable barbecue had been put into a blue-lidded recycling bin, which then ignited and caused a fire in the back of the vehicle. Over four tonnes of recycling then had to be tipped in the road where the firefighters extinguished it.

Fortunately, the crew were unhurt and the vehicle was not damaged but the situation could have been so much worse, say Stratford District Council




SDC’s neighbourhood services spokesperson, Coun Lorraine Grocott, continued: “This incident is extremely concerning and put a number of people at risk.

“I would like to take this opportunity to remind dresidents of the importance of disposing of waste properly and advise people to follow the instructions on the disposable barbecues of how you can safely dispose of them.”


Disposable barbecues and hot coals can take up to 48 hours to fully cool so the public need to ensure they are left for that period or are cooled by soaking them in water. Once cold, they can be disposed of in the general waste.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Advertising

Advertise with the Stratford Observer to reach your audience

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.