Town rally to seal home win - The Stratford Observer

Town rally to seal home win

Stratford Editorial 24th Sep, 2015 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

STRATFORD Town bounced back from Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Dorchester Town as they secured an important 2-1 victory over high-flying Cirencester Town at the DCS Stadium on Tuesday.

The win leaves Carl Adams’ side in tenth place in the Southern League Premier Division – just six points behind leaders Chippenham Town in what is an extremely competitive top half – although Town are now without a match until the visit of Histon on Saturday, October 3.

The star of the show on Tuesday was 20-year-old left back Kieren Westwood who followed up his fine debut against Dorchester with another excellent display including opening the scoring in the 44th minute of a pulsating encounter.

Jamie Sheldon released Dior Angus down the left and his whipped cross found Edwin Ahenkorah, whose shot was blocked. The ball spun away to the far post and there was Westwood to lash it into the roof of the net.

Angus then doubled the hosts’ advantage in the 55th minute with a sublime goal as he received Jamie Sheldon’s pass with his back to goal and swivelled past his marker before unleashing a powerful right-footed drive beyond visiting keeper Glyn Garner.

A nervy finale was ensured after Josh Parsons pulled a goal back for Cirencester in the 76th minute, but Stratford were not to be denied their fourth win of the league season as they remain unbeaten in five home games.

Afterwards delighted boss Adams told the club website: “What a fantastic result. At times I thought we played some great football and we created a number of really good chances.

“We had to raise our game against a side who were sitting second in the table and that’s what we did. We had to work extremely hard but we are a tight-knit squad and we deserved our win.

“Overall it was a terrific performance.”

STRATFORD slipped to defeat on Saturday against an impressive Dorchester side who are now sixth in the table.

The match was evenly contested but Adams’ men found themselves two goals adrift at the break after Nathan Walker and Charlie Davis struck from set piece situations for the hosts.

Town, who had been rocked in midweek by the sudden departure from the club of midfielder Joe Halsall, found a way back into the game in the 54th minute when Ahenkorah was on hand to thump a shot home from Westwood’s cross.

However, the hosts restored their two-goal advantage in the 66th minute when Ben Watson struck from 15 yards and the visitors were unable to muster another response.

COVENTRY City have confirmed they will be sending their U21 side for the Birmingham Senior Cup first round tie which has been arranged for Wednesday, October 21 at the DCS.


Advertise with the Stratford Observer to reach your audience

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.