Online Editions

6th Jul, 2022

Man who hurled racist abuse at hospital and theatre staff escapes jail

A YOUNG man hurled racist abuse at hospital and theatre staff, emergency operators and probation officers within hours of appearing in court.

But Ryhan Ali escaped being jailed after pleading guilty at Warwick Crown Court to three racially-aggravated offences, two of causing fear of violence and one of causing alarm or distress.

The 23-year-old, of Clopton Street, Stratford, who had also admitted three charges of malicious communication, was given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for two years.

And Judge Anthony Potter ordered him to carry out 80 hours of unpaid work and to take part in a rehabilitation activity for up to 30 days.

Prosecutor Edward Hollingsworth said on June 4 last year Ali was verbally aggressive towards security officers at Warwick Hospital, calling one ‘English scum’ among his more printable insults, and racially abusing an Asian guard and saying he was ‘not a true Muslim.’

The police attended, and Ali was arrested, but made no comment when he was questioned and was granted bail.

Then on August 30, after appearing at the crown court earlier that day over the incident at the hospital, he turned up at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford.

Ali told security staff who spoke to him that he had gone there to hurt someone, saying he was going to take a knife into the theatre and talking of white people and Asians as ‘scum.’

And when the police arrived and arrested him, he called one of the officers a racist.

When he was interviewed he said he had been at the crown court earlier that day, and had argued with his family in the car on the way back to Stratford – and that he had gone to the theatre to tell them how he felt.

Ali was again granted bail, and on March 15 this year, while subject to a community order for earlier racially aggravated public order offences, he phoned his probation worker and racially abused him.

Then on April 9 he made a 999 call, hurling racist abuse at the call handler. She recognised his voice as a result of previous calls.

Then at just after midnight on May 2, he made the ninth in a sequence of 999 calls, during which he was abusive towards the call-handler, using racist language.

When he was arrested, Ali said he regretted making the comments to his probation officer, added Mr Hollingsworth.

Sentencing Ali after hearing he was living in supported accommodation, Judge Anthony Potter told him: “Sending you to prison would interfere with the care package which is in place.”

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Stratford Observer to boost your online presence.