ALTHOUGH a small Warwickshire market town, Stratford has a remarkable number and variety of historic buildings.
The medieval street plan survives, with most of the streets still known by the same names. Many listed buildings are located along the Historic Spine, which runs from Shakespeare’s Birthplace in Henley Street through the town centre to his resting place at Holy Trinity Church.
In ‘Stratford-upon-Avon in 50 Buildings’, authors Robert Bearman and Lindsay MacDonald, present an engaging and insightful perspective of the rich architectural heritage of the town. The buildings and landmarks featured are all still used by townspeople and tourists alike, and they give the town its essential character.
Taken together, this wide-ranging selection of buildings, landmarks and architectural styles, tells the story of the town’s history and development from its medieval origins through all of its phases to the present day.
Illustrated throughout, the book will be of interest to residents, visitors and historians alike.
‘Stratford-upon-Avon in 50 Buildings’ is published by Amberley Books priced £15.99.
Clopton Bridge before its widening in 1812, engraved from a drawing by Samuel Ireland.
Early 18th century gazebo once in the corner of the gardens of Alverston Manor but now isolated on a traffic island after alterations to the road system.
Mason Croft in Church Street from a watercolour circa 1922 by local artist WW Quatremain. It was home to the Stratford’s other famous writer Marie Corelli, who died there in 1924.
The HSBC Bank on th corner of Chapel Street and Ely Street, built in 1883 in a flamboyant Gothic style.
Stratford-upon-Avon in 50 Buildings.